Inagural Tour of Historic Sites of Green was a Big Success!
The Green Historical Society is pleased to announce that our inaugural “Tour of Historic Sites in Green” was a huge success. On Saturday, September 24, 2011, we had 50 people join us for this historic event. The tour, which began with breakfast at Figaro Farm's, departed at 9 am and traveled to many historic sites throughout Green. At several locations, participants departed the bus and walked through various local landmarks.
The first stop on the tour was the Emanuel Evangelical Church now home to the Deaf Outreach Congregation. Pastor Darwin and Pastor Kevin of the Deaf Outreach Church opened their beautifully remodeled and preserved church and welcomed tour participants into their new place of worship. The next stop was the Henry Heiss Home owned by James and Staci Schweikert. The tour continued at Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse in Boettler Park. The City opened the schoolhouse for the tour and Patty Stiles gave a wonderful presentation on the schoolhouse and what it was like to attend school in an 1880’s schoolhouse. Patty also described her participation in the Green Local Schools Third Grade program that utilizes the Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse to teach children in Green about school and life in the 1880’s. The tour then stopped at the Levi J. Hartong Farmhouse in Southgate Park and participants toured the first floor of the farmhouse. After cruising through the Aultman area with a history of Aultman provided by Glenn Witsaman, the tour travelled to Merestead Farms owned by John and Lee Beese. John and Lee provided a personal tour of their amazing homestead.
A full narrative history of the sites along the route was prepared and researched by the Green Historical Society and was delivered by Glen Sheets. After a wonderful morning of touring, the bus returned to Figaro Farms and like breakfast, people delighted in the lunch served as part of the tour package. Each participant received a 40-page brochure containing historical facts and photographs of the sites on and along the tour route.
The Green Historical Society would like to thank Patty Stiles, John & Lee Beese, Pastor Darwin & Pastor Kevin of the Deaf Outreach Church, Ted Elfrink of the City of Green Parks & Recreation Department, Glen Sheets, Andy & Kathy Figley of Figaro Farms, Ron & Susan Hart of Our Daily Bread, Mel Noble & Bud Darrah of the Summit County Sherriff’s Department, Sheryl Harstine of Muskingum Coach, and all of our members and supporters who attended and assisted with the tour.