Green Historical Society
  • Home
  • Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse
    • Lichtenwalter Exhibits >
      • Downstairs Exhibits >
        • Agriculture
        • Apples of Green
        • Greensburg Fair
        • Logistics
        • Menches Brothers
        • Newspaper Archive
        • Pflueger Collection
        • Scouting in Green
      • Upstairs Exhibits >
        • Artifacts Recovered from the Schoolhouse Fire 2016
        • Bottles from Old Hog Farm
        • Comet Church Reunion Quilt - 1920
        • Ella B. Warner Quilt and Schoolbook
        • Fossils and our Natural History
        • Highland Grange Hall
        • Holmes Stereoscopes
        • Native Peoples Tools
        • Postcards from Green
        • Spring Hill Dig
        • William and Fola Carr Collection
  • Our Archive
    • History of Green >
      • Becoming a City
      • Hamlets of Green >
        • Aultman
        • East Liberty
        • Comet
        • Greensburg
        • Myersville
      • Early Families of Green
      • Early Settlers and the Native Peoples
      • Schools & Alumni of Green >
        • Kleckner Elementary Building
        • Early Schoolhouses
      • Churches
      • Cemeteries >
        • Cemetery - Klinefelter
        • Cemetery - Greensburg
      • The Evangelical Movement & Greensburg Seminary >
        • Evangelical Photoshow
    • Railroads
    • Women of Green
    • History Myserties
    • Famous - with Roots in Green >
      • Clark Vandersall Poling
      • Buzz Fazio
      • John R. Buchtel
      • Lewis Miller
      • Pflueger Family
      • Savilla Kring Poling
      • George W. Crouse
    • Local History References >
      • The Land Act of 1804
    • Preservation in Green >
      • Historic Homes of Green
      • Local Landmarks
      • Preserved Structures from Green
      • Klinefelter Cemetery Mapping
    • Digital Archives >
      • Video Archive
  • Contact Us
  • Donate

PRESS RELEASE – September 2, 2010

CIRCUIT RIDERS HOME DESIGNATED A LOCAL LANDMARK IN GREEN

At the August 17, 2010 meeting of The City of Green Historic Preservation Commission, the Commission voted unanimously to designation to 1261 Steese Road, Uniontown, Ohio, as a local landmark.    The application for local landmark designation was prepared by the Green Historical Society with the full cooperation and support of the property owners, James and Staci Schweikert.  The Rev. Henry Heiss home is the fifth local landmark to be designated in the City of Green.

The Green Historical Society thoroughly researched the architectural and historical significance of the property.  The farm once consisted over almost 400 acres and extended north along Greensburg and Arlington Roads from Steese Road to Boettler Road.  The bulk of the land was purchased in 1849 by Rev. Henry Heiss from Michael Dillman, son of Conrad Dillman (a prominent member of the Evangelical Church and builder of the St. John Farm on Greensburg Road).  By 1850, the Heiss family was actively farming the land.  The home construction was undertaken sometime between 1849 and 1855.

The home is a Greek Revival with a four-bay facade.  The center two bays each contain separate entries, leading many visitors to inquiry if the home is a duplex.  This two-entry facade is a classic example of Penn-Duetsch or the Pennsylvania Farmhouse architectural style.  The Pennsylvania Farmhouse style of architecture evolved from the combination of the Pennsylvania Flürkuchenhaus and more ‘conventional’ styles of architecture, such as Georgian, or in this case, Greek Revival design. 

In addition to designation of the exterior of the home, the homeowners requested that the original central chimney and fireplaces on the interior of the home also be designated.  This two-sided central chimney is a classic example of Pennsylvania Flürkuchenhaus or Pennsylvania German Farmhouse architecture from the early to mid 1800s.   Examples of central chimney architecture are rare, as this style was replaced by gable-end fireplaces of English design.  One side of the central chimney opens into a large cooking fireplace in the küch (kitchen) and the other side of the central chimney opens into a formal fireplace in the parlor or living room. 

Rev. Henry Heiss was one of five sons of John Wilhelm (William) Heiss, Erie County, Pennsylvania, that became active ministers and circuit riders in the Evangelical Association.  Rev. Henry Heiss joined the Evangelical Association in 1835 as a circuit rider in the Canton Circuit.  By 1839 when the Western Conference of the Evangelical Association held session in Greensburg, Henry Heiss held the title of Deacon.

Interestingly, further research has revealed that the Rev. Peter Heiss, brother of Rev. Henry Heiss, had a son William A. Heiss whose homestead and buggy works in Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania is currently a museum and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  So, in addition to producing five successful Evangelical ministers, the William Heiss family has also left a legacy of at least two preserved historic homes that give us a glimpse into the lives of the hard working settlers in Ohio and Pennsylvania.
GREEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
​
...bringing together those people interested in history, and especially those interested in the history of Green, Ohio.
 
We believe that understanding the history of our community is basic to our democratic way of life, gives us a better understanding of our state and nation, and promotes a better appreciation of our American Heritage.  More about our Mission

Type in Search Terms Here to Search our Digital Archives:

Subscribe to GHS Email

P.O. Box 533, Green,  Ohio 44232
Privacy Policy
  • Home
  • Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse
    • Lichtenwalter Exhibits >
      • Downstairs Exhibits >
        • Agriculture
        • Apples of Green
        • Greensburg Fair
        • Logistics
        • Menches Brothers
        • Newspaper Archive
        • Pflueger Collection
        • Scouting in Green
      • Upstairs Exhibits >
        • Artifacts Recovered from the Schoolhouse Fire 2016
        • Bottles from Old Hog Farm
        • Comet Church Reunion Quilt - 1920
        • Ella B. Warner Quilt and Schoolbook
        • Fossils and our Natural History
        • Highland Grange Hall
        • Holmes Stereoscopes
        • Native Peoples Tools
        • Postcards from Green
        • Spring Hill Dig
        • William and Fola Carr Collection
  • Our Archive
    • History of Green >
      • Becoming a City
      • Hamlets of Green >
        • Aultman
        • East Liberty
        • Comet
        • Greensburg
        • Myersville
      • Early Families of Green
      • Early Settlers and the Native Peoples
      • Schools & Alumni of Green >
        • Kleckner Elementary Building
        • Early Schoolhouses
      • Churches
      • Cemeteries >
        • Cemetery - Klinefelter
        • Cemetery - Greensburg
      • The Evangelical Movement & Greensburg Seminary >
        • Evangelical Photoshow
    • Railroads
    • Women of Green
    • History Myserties
    • Famous - with Roots in Green >
      • Clark Vandersall Poling
      • Buzz Fazio
      • John R. Buchtel
      • Lewis Miller
      • Pflueger Family
      • Savilla Kring Poling
      • George W. Crouse
    • Local History References >
      • The Land Act of 1804
    • Preservation in Green >
      • Historic Homes of Green
      • Local Landmarks
      • Preserved Structures from Green
      • Klinefelter Cemetery Mapping
    • Digital Archives >
      • Video Archive
  • Contact Us
  • Donate